Selenium is the most powerful open source automation tool. It is developed by Jason Huggin under the Apache 2.0 and can be downloaded and used without any charge. Selenium is easy to get started with for simple functional testing of web application and support multiple operating system and browser. Selenium is also popular to automate, web-based administrative tasks and following are the advantage and disadvantage of selenium tool to automate testing process.
Test automation process has specific advantages for improving the long-term efficiency of testing processes. Test automation supports:
– Frequent regression testing
– Support rapid feedback to developers
– Virtually unlimited iterations of test case execution
– It support for Agile and extreme development methodologies
– It is disciplined documentation of test cases
– It support customized defect reporting
– Used where finding defects missed by manual testing
1. Selenium is open source, freeware and portable tool.
2. It supports variety of languages that include Java, Perl, Python, C#, Ruby, Groovy, Java Script, and VB Script. etc.
3. Supports multiple operating systems like Windows, Macintosh, Linux, UNIX etc.
4. It supports multiple browsers like Internet explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, HtmlUnit etc.
5. It can be integrated with other framework for source code compilation
6. It can be integrated with testing framework for testing our applications and generating reports.
7. It can be integrated with Jenkins or Hudson for continuous integration.
8. It can be used for Android, IPhone, Blackberry etc. based application testing.
9. It supports very less CPU and RAM consumption for script execution.
10. It integrates well with popular tools such as Hudson, SauceLabs, Selenium-Grid, QMetry and others for reporting, build system or any other aspect of their testing framework their testing framework
11. It provides record / playback tool for authoring tests without learning test scripting language.
1. Selenium needs very much expertise resources.
2. It only supports web based application and does not support windows based application.
3. It is difficult to test Image based application.
4. It need outside support for report generation activity.
5. It does not support built in add-ins support.
6. It does not provide any built in IDE for script generation and it need other IDE like Eclipse for writing scripts.
7. It is not complete or compressive solution for automate testing web application
8. It has no test management facilities.